Friday, February 25, 2011

Behind (And in front, around) the Name...

"People are light and dark, good and bad, high and low."
-Sesali B.


I've been meaning to write this for a looong time. I've finally put pen to paper/words to screen to put it out here. Fairly soon after I started this blog I felt pressure to defend the title. I was getting positive feedback in the form of " I don't use the B- word but I love your blog" and "Your writing is good but I don't think the whole 'bad bitch' thing is gon stick". I want to take the time to finally explain how I came to this title "Bad Bitch Society" and why I personally identify with the term bad bitch.

It should be very obvious by now that this blog is about women. Furthermore, I like to think that this little piece of internet space is honest about women. Honest and open to the fact that women come from all different experiences and in all different forms, as is the nature of all beings.

We aint all regal and royal all the time. Shit, sometimes our lives create broken spirits, painful memories, defensive reactions, and jagged edges. I can personally attest to this. So if you flinch when you hear me say "bitch", I say good, because that means you FEEL me. We all just trying to complete our circles, some of us had to be bitches to get where we are, to live,to survive. Some of us had to stop being bitches to get it together. Either way, I personally like to be reminded that underneath all that dainty shit we (women) are forced to absorb and adhere to everyday there is still a human underneath, fucked up, but perfect as they are.

There was also another component to the title. I thought about all the queens I know that are more likely to hear themselves referred to as bitches as hoes than goddesses, beautiful, people; the ones that might need a reminder to celebrate themselves as they are. To me I felt like it was only right to give them a crown and use my language around this term to redefine it and as my girl would Jill would say, let them be elevated.

So yeah, that's what this blog, about women, is about. Redefining terms so even bitches get love. Ya'll have accepted the term as something negative. Reject (unlearn) and accept a new one.

For those of you who don't know, peep what I had in mind when I started.

No comments:

Post a Comment