Thursday, February 10, 2011

Thoughts from an Ex- Nicki Minaj fan

If you've been following this blog since the beginning, you'll know that I used to be a huge Nicki Minaj fan. I love female rappers, she embraced the pleasurable aspect of sexuality, was openly bisexual (or so it seemed), she embraced her feminine side (beyond the realm of "pussy power"), and most importantly she seemed to speak directly to the girls in the hood. Lyrically, she was and still is THE SHIT. I appreciated Nicki Minaj. She even had big tits and a flat ass like me.

Oh how things change...

So why don't I indulge in Nicki Minaj's music these days? well for one, I don't like pop music. There are a couple of current Nicki Minaj joints I dig (Roman's Revenge, did it on em). But the teeny bob hip hop shit she's been doing as of late rarely hits any of my spots. Additionally, The chick can't sing! I have been known to indulge in some artists that can't sing (Rihanna and Ciara to name a couple), but at least they know how to make a hit I can move to! Nicki, as a non singer, blends right in with the rest of the artists that can't sing and that I don't listen to. So that's why I don't listen to much of her shit.

Why do I no longer consider myself a fan of her's? Well here it is, authenticity is very important to me. There is nothing authentic about Nicki Minaj. She got a fake ass, which is cool, but continues to tell us its real. She claimed to like women, then denied dating and sleeping with women, then claimed that we all misinterpreted what she said, all the while making suggestions about dating Cassie, another female non singer. And then, as with many other artists who became mainstream, she switched the style up on us with her gimic.

Everyone's, including Nicki's, defense of this is that by completely lacking authenticity she's "getting money". Well... white people enslaved Blacks in America to provide free labor in a multi billion dollar crop industry to "get money". Gang members shoot each other dead in the street over territory to "get money". The media objectifies black women so that companies and execs can "get money". None of this makes the shit ok.

But then again... this is America, so maybe it is ok. That'll be my shortened answer from now on. I'm not a Nicki Minaj fan because I'm not a good American...

This is the Nicki Minaj I liked.... (pic stolen from hiphopgalaxy.com)



I don't know who/what this is... (pic stolen from taletela.com)

1 comment:

  1. Agreed. I honestly cannot respect a woman who gets shot up with silicone and uses it as a career. Do you think Wayne would've still signed her if she had no "sex appeal" that the hip hop industry feeds off of? Another thing I hate: male artists singing about they do not care how a woman looks physically, but in the videos of these songs, they cast a supermodel as this woman. That shit is FUCKING RIDICULOUS! I bet they wouldn't cast me or you, there's nothing wrong with loving someone who isn't stereotypically attractive. Hence why I no longer listen to many mainstream artists (with the exception of Gaga).

    ReplyDelete